Founded in New York in 1971 as an affiliate of the UK William Morris Society, the William Morris Society in the United States strives to publicize the life and work of William Morris and his associates. We coordinate our activities with our fellow Morris Societies in the UK and Canada, and distribute UK and US Newsletters and a biannual Journal of William Morris Studies.
MODERN LANGUAGE ASSOCIATION CONVENTION, Vancouver, Canada, January 8-11, 2015.
The William Morris Society will sponsor two conference sessions January 8th and 9th, on "William Morris and Old Norse," co-sponsored with the Old Norse Discussion Group, and "William Morris: The Ecological and the Oceanic." We will arrange for a pass for non-MLA members; to receive such a pass, please write L.Hughes@tcu.edu. Respondent: Letitia Henville, University of Toronto.
Thursday, 8 January
90. William Morris and Old Norse
3:30–4:45 p.m., West 121, Vancouver Convention Center West
Presiding: Eric Bryan, Missouri University of Science and Technology
- "'The Handiest of Men and Skilled in Everything': Morris and the Domestic Idiom of the Saga," Yuri Cowan, Norwegian Univ. of Science and Technology
- "William Morris's Translation of Völuspá," Paul L. Acker, Saint Louis Univ.
- "Morris's Icelandic Journeys, 1871 and 1873," Martin Stott, President, United Kingdom William Morris Society.
Friday, 9 January
388. William Morris: The Ecological and the Oceanic
5:15–6:30 p.m., West 120, Vancover Convention Center West
Presiding: Elizabeth Carolyn Miller, University of California, Davis
- "Garden Cities, Ecotowns, and Planning for Sustainability: The Morrisean Legacy in Twenty-First-Century Britain," Martin Stott, President, William Morris Society, UK
- "The Idea of William Morris: Representing Activism in the Postpolitical Age," Eddy Kent, University of Alberta
- "William Morris Down Under," Robert Reason, Art Gallery of South Australia
NEW William Morris Song Book
Digital Independent Morris-Inspired Press:
The Kelmsgarth Press
First Publication: William Morris: The Blog by Tony Pinkney
Coming in 2014…
The Pre-Raphaelites: Victorian Art and Design, 1848-1900
17 February-19 May 2013, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC
A version of the Tate Britain exhibition, Fall 2012, with a second display, Pre-Raphaelites and the Book
Book sale to benefit the William Morris Society in the United States
LIST OF BOOKS BY AND ABOUT WILLIAM MORRIS [pdf]
New Blog by WMS Award Winner: The Morrisian
Time and the Tapestry: A William Morris Adventure, John Plotz.
Boston: Bunker Hill, 2014.
The Collected Letters of Jane Morris
Slow Print: Literary Radicalism and Late Victorian Print Culture. Stanford, 2012.
|The Multifaceted Mr. Morris: A Record of the Exhibition in the Mark Samuels Lasner Collection, University of Delaware Library, 1–30 October 2010
Jane Marguerite Tippett
Lead Graffiti, 2012
|The Kelmscott Chaucer: A Census
William S. Peterson and Sylvia Holton Peterson
Oak Knoll Press, 2011
|A History of Kelmscott House
William Morris Society, London, 2011
|Illustrated Edition of the Works of William Morris in English,
Robert L. M. Coupe
Published by the author, 2011
|Socialist Aesthetics and "The Shadows of Amiens"
Florence S. Boos
William Morris Society: London, 2011