2015 William Morris Events in the United States
A Pre-Raphaelite Paints Music: Dante Gabriel Rossetti
and the Delaware Art Museum’s Veronica Veronese - Lecture by Nancy Rose Marshall, Professor of Art History, University of Wisconsin-Madison and 2015 University of Delaware Library/Delaware Art Museum Fellow in Pre-Raphaelite Studies
MODERN LANGUAGE ASSOCIATION CONVENTION, Vancouver, Canada, January 8-11, 2015.
The William Morris Society sponsored two conference sessions January 8th and 9th, on "William Morris and Old Norse," co-sponsored with the Old Norse Discussion Group, and "William Morris: The Ecological and the Oceanic." We arranged for a pass for non-MLA members; Respondent: Letitia Henville, University of Toronto.
Thursday, 8 January
90. William Morris and Old Norse
3:30–4:45 p.m., West 121, Vancouver Convention Center West
Presiding: Eric Bryan, Missouri University of Science and Technology
Respondent: Letitia Henville, University of Toronto
- "'The Handiest of Men and Skilled in Everything': Morris and the Domestic Idiom of the Saga," Yuri Cowan, Norwegian Univ. of Science and Technology
- "William Morris's Translation of Völuspá," Paul L. Acker, Saint Louis Univ.
- "Morris's Icelandic Journeys, 1871 and 1873," Martin Stott, President, United Kingdom William Morris Society.
Friday, 9 January
388. William Morris: The Ecological and the Oceanic
5:15–6:30 p.m., West 120, Vancover Convention Center West
Presiding: Elizabeth Carolyn Miller, University of California, Davis
- "Garden Cities, Ecotowns, and Planning for Sustainability: The Morrisean Legacy in Twenty-First-Century Britain," Martin Stott, President, William Morris Society, UK
- "The Idea of William Morris: Representing Activism in the Postpolitical Age," Eddy Kent, University of Alberta
- "William Morris Down Under," Robert Reason, Art Gallery of South Australia
NYC Talk: "Victorian Connections: The Literary and Artistic Circles of William and Helen Allingham from the Collections of Grolier Club Members"
Wednesday 6 May, 5:30 p. m., The Grolier Club, 47 East 60th Street, NYC.
Mark Samuels Lasner, co-curator of the member's exhibition "Victorian Connections: The Literary and Artistic Circles of William and Helen Allingham from the Collections of Grolier Club Members," will introduce the exhibition and speak about his adventures in Allingham collecting and bibliography. Second-floor gallery.
The exhibition, which contains books, letters and artworks connected to William Morris and the Pre-Raphaelites, will be on view through 23 May.
England Private Press Tour 18-28 October 2015, " Arts and Crafts Tour, focusing on the Cotswolds, Oxford, and London. For more information, see http://artsandcraftstours.com or write email@example.com.